Poem published in Psychoanalytic Perspectives, Vol. 20 (3), 2023

 I got a degree in creative writing in the mid '90s and didn't write for years. This was the first poem I published after those years.


Inner Rage 

One time as a kid at school I shut my eyes all day,

feigning blindness, clowning for a smile or at least a smirk.

I ended that day by leaping into the pool, and

the cold water shoved open my eyes with a breath.

Other times I stole money from kids’ coats in the coatroom.

I smashed my toys, slashed flowers down with a stick, and

broke bottles against the head of the sun.

 

Decades later, I shut my eyes at a meditation retreat, holding

in my breath, listening to someone’s heavy breathing behind me,

remembering in it my kid brother’s arrogant, heavy breathing at night.

It drove me wild and I wanted to kill him.

I could have killed a buddha at that retreat.

In my nightmare mind, I did. I threw a bottle at his head,

knowing it was really my head and I would carry the scars unredeemed.

I ended the day by lying down in the coatroom

to breathe out tears, my pockets stuffed with cash.

 

Today, I look at my news feed and see Ryuichi Sakamoto

has cancer and will die soon. I play his 12,

shut my eyes, and toy with the idea of death.

Or at least of inner death where rage bleeds into something else.

Something song-like and blind.

A wave, a gentle leap?

His final, silencing pieces are bottles thrown at the sun.


____________________________________________

For academic reference, because I know you need it:

 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1551806X.2023.2230804


















Comments